A little wire, a little slip and one porcelain leaf


This piece looks a little space alien.  At this point I wanted to have leaves over and hanging from the face.  To make sure they will adhere without dropping off I needed to wire the hanging ones.  


It is very delicate thing to push wire into these little leaves.   Better to push the wire into the back, cover with slip, add little coil, smooth, add details. 


I continued the un-wired leaves around the back of the head.  The head also detaches.  It is the only way I can work around the head.  Later I will epoxy it permanently to the torso. 



It is hard to really know what it will look like hanging on the wall.  Even when I take photos of it from above it can only give me a little visual.  At this point I have to make some decisions about the shadows, the angle of the head and where I want the viewer's eye to go.

a leafy cover up
The leaves appear almost ghostly.  That appeals to me.  It gives a haunting effect on top of the little whimsy.  I am liking the eyes without color, too.  Except I think they will need the lightest of color---perhaps yellow or pale green especially if I decide to leave the leaves white. This will bring them out from under the shadows of the hanging leaves.  They will take on a more piercing look. They are a focal point and essential to the narrative.  The small scale of these pieces makes for a more intimate viewing.  Every detail becomes magnified.

Comments

  1. Ooooh I love this piece! Can't wait to see it as it progresses through the kiln firings. The details are amazing. - very cool piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. It took a long while to get all those leaves attached, but feel it was worth it. Keeping fingers crossed that it makes it through all the firings it (and I) must endure!

      Delete
  2. She's coming along nicely and I am so glad you showed how you use slip with the nichrome wire I always wonder if it will slip out when I use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda-I made slip from the same clay body that I mix with shredded tissue. The coil of clay on top keeps it secure. It is messy, but so much better than trying to poke it through without the wire poking out. Those leaves are tiny and my fingers all thumbs!

      Delete
  3. WOW! Looking forward very much to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making more following this theme so more installments are coming......:-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts