Sweet and Sun Kissed Kiln Thoughts

"A child’s world is fresh and new and beautiful, full or wonder and excitement. It is our misfortune that for most of us that clear-eyed vision, that true instinct for what is beautiful and awe-inspiring, is dimmed and even lost before we reach adulthood."
Rachel Carson from The Sense of Wonder

   

Sweetness came out of the kiln last week.  I think the kiln took one look at that face and kissed those ruddy cheeks.  For a small piece it has presence.  The feeling of walking in a field of summer grass.  The warmth of the sun on bare shoulders.  Days of picking buttercups to press under one's chin, so wishful of love and acceptance.  When daydreams were made of quiet magic and collected as if they were soft creatures.  Tamed and kept.  A menagerie of thoughts and desires.

Charlene Doiron Reinhart
Menagerie
18” x 8” x 8”
Ceramic, terra sigillata, oxide stains, glazes

(sold)


"Many years have passed since those summer days
Among the fields of barley
See the children run as the sun goes down
Among the fields of gold..."

from song "Fields of Gold" by Sting







Comments

  1. the child is wonderful and sublime, menagerie reminds me of when I used to lie in the grass as a child looking at the miniature world among the blades of grass, seemg small insects crawling about and me dreaming of being small enough to fit within the blades of grass walking along exploring all there might be to see in that tiny world.

    I love it when the kiln does it's thing as if knowing just what was needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Electric kilns are not known for having atmospheric personalities. So it's always a surprise when the glazes come out so rich and lively.

      Delete
  2. Menagerie touched my heart so!
    Pure, gentle innocence in golden years.
    Ruddy cheeks (not only kissed by the kiln), but by sunshine of long ago, and flushed with dreams of the future.
    And, that faraway look.....

    So beautiful Charlene.
    And, this song by Sting, is one of my most favourite of all songs. It too touches my heart when I heart it.
    Most fitting choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You'll remember me when the west wind moves
      Upon the fields of barley
      You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
      As we walk in fields of gold.."

      yes, such a beautiful and timeless song it captures a lifetime in a moment.....


      Delete
  3. She is special - you've captured a longing in her eyes - the longing for long summer days playing without a care in the world and the menagerie on her head lets us all know, we can still dream those dreams . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to see in the photo, but there are scratches and shadowy markings around the bodice. I had tried some other patterns, but it took the focus away from the eyes. I finally opted for a rich yellow field with pale rivulets of rutile wash for the bodice. And with that the feeling of the piece subtly changed.

      Delete
  4. How nice when the kiln gives you a gift! I thought it is mini Midori land on her head when I first saw it. Lovely eyes looking at far. Yes, I also love the song. One of his best. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's sheep and llama on the back, but I didn't think to post the back view. The kiln has new relays so it is very happy.

      Delete
  5. Hello Charlene!
    This piece is my favorite one of yours at the Kondos Gallery. I was really excited to attend a visiting artist lecture from a Female Ceramist. Your work is awesome and you make so much, I was really encouraged by your talk and by what you said about seeing me at Galleries soon. I am getting ready to experiment with some terra stilgata thanks to you and get some pieces ready for Calyfest III and CCACA. I look forward to seeing more of you and your work in person soon!

    Sincerely
    Aida Lizalde

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts