Working in an Imaginary Studio


quails running down the road towards my house


It took only 30 days from open house to final closing and handing over the keys.  The house even went through a short bidding war.  The buyers were so happy and eager to move in.  We donated some furniture to the botanical gardens pack rat sale and my first Skutt 818 kiln to a newbie potter.  I then wrapped up my vegetable container garden consisting of one "Better Boy" tomato plant and headed north.  We made it safely here, my kilns, my pottery wheel and ceramics.  My buddy "Better" now sits out on the picnic table next to my temporary outdoor studio.

black-tailed deer hanging out by future studio


Building the indoor studio got delayed because the one acre lot next to us came up for sale and we bought it. My thoughts ran into building a tiny home-studio on wheels (no property tax increase.)   Then I realized I really need a proper studio with a solid floor and a sink.  A small wood stove in the corner for those 300 days per year of cool mornings.  The south wall...a garage door with glass so I can roll it up on sunny days or more likely, foggy days.  When it's down the natural light will stream in.

Shirley Poppies glorious in the morning fog

I don't know if I would get any work done.  Maybe it will turn out too perfect.  I won't want to mess it up with clay bits and glaze making. Perhaps working in my imaginary studio is more fun on paper and in the mind.  When all is said and done, all I need is a little space, a work table, a bag of clay and a small kiln.




Comments

  1. what a new adventure you are on, the quail, the buck and the poppy pods, how idyllic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Your descriptions had me walking right beside you. Congrats on the sale of your home - bidding war - sweet! And how fortunate to scoop-up that acre adjoining your property. You won't 'mess-up' that new studio - but just infuse it with bits of you! Then it will be perfect!
    Happy adventures -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Judy thank you☺ It was indeed fortunate we were able to purchase that adjoining acre. We had our eye on it for quite a few years.

      Delete
  3. Great result on the sale, Charlene, congratulations!

    When you do have that perfect studio built, you will soon want to create in it and make it your own... yours and the beautiful souls that are born there in the future to come.

    There is much to be said for deliciously "creative chaos", and an artist's studio is imbued with their very own essence.

    To others, who are fortunate enough to visit such places, they become a place of magic.

    Look forward to creating magic.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all your kind words. Magic happens outside all the time with or without me :) My worktable is outside along with my pottery wheel. I am easily distracted by the swallowtail butterflies, hummingbirds, deer, woodpecker, the sounds of the ocean. I am not getting much done, but beauty surrounds me, so I can't help but give it my time and attention ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts