Wait, Stillness




The wait, the grief, the mourning and now a stillness.  
This will be the first Mother's Day without my ochaa-san.
She gave me so, so much.
No matter what I made she thought it was beautiful.
She bragged about me to everyone. (I must admit it embarrassed me at times.)
Told them I was a wonderful daughter and artist. 
Even as I grew older, rounder and more gray-haired than her.

To me, I was only a good daughter who needed to take her shopping at the Japanese market in San Francisco.
That my nori-maki rolling skill was not bad.
She told me to wake up to joy no matter what happened the day before.
You only get 5 minutes to feel sorry for yourself while you brush your teeth.
 and always remember:
fall seven times get up eight
work hard
and pay attention to life.


Wait, Stillness, 24" x  12" x 9", ceramic, porcelain parts, glazes



Comments

  1. Hi Charlene, I just discovered your work in Healdsburg yesterday and was wondering if you would be interested in showing your work at Sonoma Academy in our beautiful gallery. The students would love your work. https://www.sonomaacademy.org/arts/art-gallery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlene
    Thank you so much for sharing this poignant post and for sharing your mum's wisdom.
    🙏💝XXX

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts