Giving Thanks and Driftwood Wing

The Way In


Sometimes the way to milk and honey is through the body.
Sometimes the way in is a song.
But there are three ways in the world: dangerous, wounding,
and beauty.
To enter stone, be water.
To rise through hard earth, be plant
desiring sunlight, believing in water.
To enter fire, be dry.
To enter life, be food.

by poet and writer Linda Hogan, from Rounding the Human Corners, 2008


Driftwood Wing
20" x 17" x 3"
ceramic with terra sigillata, glazes
found objects and twine
 

Sometimes it takes a while before I finish up a piece.  I do sketches and make plans.  There is momentum and in the wee hours, maybe, inspiration.  Mostly it is just trying different things. 


Over the year I have found things left or washed up on the beaches here.  Mainly I find things in the most ordinary of places, in the gutters, on the cracked sidewalks or even forgotten corners of my house.  I rarely go to flea markets or garage sales although I know they can be treasure-filled.  I am not a seeker of those objects displayed.  Bits and pieces find me. These are little inconsequential gifts from flotsam gods, who whisper in a language of coincidences and wonder.

 
trail out to Pacific Ocean near Mendocino. California

                                  
Today,  I have to find my inspiration in making sweet potato pie.  There's also a roast turkey to consider.  I saw its wild cousins just the other day taking a stroll through the industrial park near the bay shoreline.  Imagine, wild turkeys in an urban area!  They caused a little ruckus as they scattered across the street, dodging trucks and startled commuters heading west towards the bridge.  I had to laugh and give thanks. 



once the  land of the Tuibun Ohlone---now Don Edwards San Francisco Bay Area Wildlife Refuge




Comments

  1. Oh I could walk down that path in Mendocino today what memories it brings, isn't it wonderful that wildlife exists so close to man, they are an example of adaptability. Sometimes the smallest gifts discovered are the best. I imagine the woman flying here and there gathering as you have done. Have a great thanksgiving, sweet potato pie, yummy, since it's just the two of us we are having fish. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - she looks like a keeper of secrets and lost objects. What treasures does her key unlock I wonder...

    Meant to be, the objects that come to you inconsequentially. They know you will once again give them meaning - even more important the second time 'round.

    That last image of the wildlife sanctuary is hauntingly beautiful.
    As is Driftwood Wing. Haunting. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is fun to just toss things on a table to see where they land. Walk away and come back. Then one can see a pattern drawn by chance and light.

      West of this sanctuary, just over the Dumbarton Bridge is the home and campus of Facebook. If you hike up the west hills, you can see the old salt ponds and the bay and then the Facebook buildings. Facebook has a beautiful view of the Bay and in the distant, San Francisco.

      Delete
  3. Your 'driftwood wing' is so intriguing. She makes me think of how found objects do appear to us as we need them - and I really love how you've balanced her with the hung objects on her outstretched arm - symmetry and mystery!
    Hope your thanksgiving was deliciously delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanksgiving was deliciously delightful. Filled with old pottery plates, patched linen tablecloth, polished silver and best of all, family and friends. I hope your Thanksgiving was delightful as well!

      Delete
  4. Your Driftwood Wing is very beautiful..so delicate and graceful. I would love to see her in real life. My new year's resolution is to walk more, and to visit the coast, so mysterious objects might find me more easily. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts