Little Clay Portraits, Big Ceramic Picture

One Little Teapot (sold)


Spinning Tales (sold)
Finding Focus (sold)
Faces are the most interesting things we see; other people fascinate me, and the most interesting aspect of other people – the point where we go inside them – is the face. It tells all. 
  David Hockney
Bird Blind (sold)

Last two weeks I rode BART into Oakland for jury selection. I took my android Nook which I used during the long lunch breaks to sort jpegs of smaller pieces. Only the larger floor and pedestal pieces go through a photo shoot where the big camera (DSLR) comes out with the lights, tripod, backdrop and everything else. Those are big portraits focused on the piece itself.  To give it the best look.  The most professional look. A bit more serious and definitive.
Driftwood Wing (sold)
When Yellow Birds Come Calling (sold)
Taking snapshots of the wall pieces is left to the small Nikon. Lively and quirky shots in the morning light.  Taken in a backdrop of a messy studio.  Little portrait shots so I can remember their faces when they have gone off to new places.  I didn't think I had done so many.  Didn't think I became so enamored with the making of small faces.  I have none hanging on my walls.  I thought Driftwood Wing would come home after the holidays.  It's price point far beyond a small gift or token.  I have to say I was surprised to see it hanging on the gallery wall.  Suspended and taking up the whole space, big and startling, sweetly taking a peek at the landscape painting across the way.  I did want it back.  Thought it would come back.  I could drag out the big camera.  Give it a nice big portrait shot.  But Driftwood caught someone's eyes and whispered its secret into this person's heart.  I know that this collector will put as much thought and care into it as I did while making it--this little clay portrait in a big ceramic picture.......
Pendulum (sold)
Woodpecker's Amulet (sold)
White Trinkets (sold)

White Trinkets, Driftwood Wing, Bird Blind tied down and boxed so they wouldn't shift during their ride in the jeep.
                                         

Comments

  1. Great to see these grouped together to see the breath of your work. I love the description of Driftwood Wing gazing at the landscape across the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda...It was a beautiful landscape of the Anderson Valley....

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, your babies have woven their magic, caught the eyes and captured the hearts of those who will take them under their wings and into their homes.

    And Driftwood Wing is akin to a Shaman, she has long ago tales to tell, secrets to keep... who wouldn't want her in their home? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vicki---I had regular arms for Driftwood Wings, but somehow they did not fit. It needed an extended horizon line of sorts. And an upward line of sight. She spent all of two days completed in my studio. Then quickly flew out of my sight........

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts